Cream caramel, also known as flan or caramel custard, is a delightful dessert that combines smooth custard with a rich caramel sauce. Here’s a recipe to make cream caramel at home:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
For the caramel:
- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and water.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to high and let it boil without stirring until it turns into a deep amber caramel color.
- Immediately pour the caramel into individual ramekins or a large baking dish. Tilt the dish to evenly coat the bottom.
- Set aside and let the caramel cool and harden.
For the custard:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the whole milk and condensed milk over medium heat until it just starts to simmer.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Strain the custard mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Pour the custard mixture into the prepared caramel-coated ramekins or baking dish.
- Place the ramekins or baking dish in a larger baking pan.
- Fill the larger pan with hot water, about halfway up the sides of the ramekins or baking dish. This creates a water bath for even baking.
- Carefully transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until the custard is set around the edges but still slightly jiggly in the center.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the cream caramel cool to room temperature in the water bath.
- Once cooled, remove the ramekins or baking dish from the water bath and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin or dish to loosen the cream caramel.
- Place a serving plate over the ramekin or dish and quickly invert it to release the cream caramel. The caramel sauce will drizzle over the custard.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
Cream caramel is a delightful dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream or a sprinkle of caramel sauce. It’s a classic treat that will surely impress your guests or satisfy your sweet tooth.
Note: The cooking times and temperatures may vary slightly, so keep an eye on the custard while baking to ensure it doesn’t overcook or undercook. Adjust the baking time if needed.